Postdoc (m/f/d) (100%, 4 years)
In the context of the new BMBF-funded collaborative research network 'Postcolonial Hierarchies in Peace & Conflict'
In the context of the new BMBF-funded collaborative research network ‘Postcolonial Hierarchies in Peace & Conflict’, there is a vacancy at the University of Bayreuth for the position of a
Postdoc (m/f/d) (100%, 4 years)
to be filled at 100 percent of the regular weekly working hours. The position is limited to four years. Provided that the relevant requirements are met, a habilitation is conceivable.
The position is part of the BMBF-funded research network "Postcolonial Hierarchies in Peace and Conflict", a joint endeavor of the Center for Conflict Research at the Philipps University of Marburg, the University of Erfurt, the Arnold Bergstraesser Institute Freiburg and the University of Bayreuth, to start in April 2022 subject to the availability of the funding. It is to contribute to and further develop a thematic focus area on postcolonial hierarchies in the strategies of externally enforced security governance and peacebuilding, for which responsibility lies with the research team at University of Bayreuth.
- Conduct an innovative independent sub-project. The project will address the growing diversity of transnational actors and practices in security governance and peacebuilding (state and/or non-state) and explore postcolonial hierarchies and how they might be overcome in the context of non-Western interventions.
- Administrative duties and coordination of joint activities of the subprojects in the research area along with supervision of student assistants in research data management and collaboration on joint publications
- Participation in conceptual development, a virtual encyclopedia, an international fellowship program, and public relations of the HIERARCHIES network
Successful candidates are expected to:
- Have a degree and doctorate in sociology, political science/international relations, peace and conflict studies and critical security studies, regional science degree with a social science focus or related subjects (degree with good to very good results)
- Have very good command of written and spoken English
- Knowledge in one or more of the following areas: International political sociology, global sociology, sociological conflict studies or critical security studies, post- and decolonial approaches in the social sciences; ideally, you have regional expertise on Africa and/or South-South relations
- Very good knowledge of qualitative methods
- Publications in international, peer-reviewed journals and, if applicable, initial experience with conducting external project funding
- High level of teamwork and communication skills, an independent and thorough approach to work, and interest in interdisciplinary collaboration
- Experience and interest in regional as well as international networking and in establishing a new interdisciplinary focus in research and teaching at the University of Bayreuth
The University of Bayreuth values the diversity of its employees as an enrichment and is expressly committed to the goal of equal opportunities for all genders. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants with children are very welcome. The University of Bayreuth is a member of the Best Practice Club "Familie in der Hochschule e.V.", and has successfully participated in the HRK audit "Internationalization of the University". Persons with severe disabilities will be given preferential consideration if equally qualified.
For organizational questions, please contact Ms. Romina Hazzard (SozAfr@uni-bayreuth.de ).
For further information on teaching and research at the chair of Sociology in Africa, please also see: https://www.african-sociology.uni-bayreuth.de/en/index.html.
How to apply:
Please apply online with relevant application documents (letter of motivation, CV, list of publications, references, contact details of 2 referees, research concept for the next 4 years with proposal of a possible subproject [2-3 pages] and a timetable) by January 28th 2022, indicating the password "Postdoc Hierarchies" via our application portal at the University of Bayreuth.
The recruitment interviews will be held tentatively on February 7th and 8th 2022.
The documents will be deleted after the position has been filled in accordance with data protection requirements.
Contact person for questions regarding content: Prof. Dr. Jana Hönke (Jana.Hoenke@uni-bayreuth.de).