University of Bayreuth, Press Release No 107/2021 03 August 2021
High up in the rankings: The University of Bayreuth enjoys good reputation worldwide in environmental sciences
Sustainability and environmental issues are an important topic at the University of Bayreuth. Numerous study programmes and focus topics in this forward-looking field are shaping both teaching and research in Bayreuth. Recent international rankings prove that the University is renowned worldwide in this regard. In fact, both the QS World University Subject Ranking and the Shanghai Ranking give it top marks in the environmental sciences.
In the internationally respected "Shanghai Ranking", the University of Bayreuth is ranked 101-150 out of 2000 ranked universities worldwide in the fields of "Ecology" and "Earth Sciences". This puts it in the top 5-7 percent of the field. Meanwhile, in "Environmental Sciences and Engineering", Bayreuth is in the 201-300 ranking group. The University of Bayreuth also does very well in comparison to German universities. In "Earth Sciences", it holds an excellent 6th place out of 32, in the field of "Ecology", it is in 10th place out of 39, and in "Environmental Sciences and Engineering", it sits on 9th place out of 33 listed German universities.
The "QS World University Subject Ranking" confirms this assessment. In the category of "Environmental Sciences", QS evaluates 1,376 universities worldwide, and the University of Bayreuth finds itself in the ranking group 301 to 350. Within Germany, QS places the University of Bayreuth 11th in the "Environmental Sciences" category, which evaluates, for example, academic reputation, citation frequency of studies, and the reputation of graduates among employers.
The University of Bayreuth's offerings in the broad field of "sustainability and the environment" are enormous - indeed, it was one of the first universities in Bavaria to adopt a sustainability strategy. Numerous degree programmes and research projects specifically address these topics of the future, meaning that students from any faculty can deal with environmental issues across several disciplines. Here you can find everything about research or study subjects on sustainable living, production or economics at the University of Bayreuth:
- Geo-Ecology, B.Sc. https://www.uni-bayreuth.de/de/studium/bachelorstudium/geooekologie/index.php
- Environmental & Resourcen Technology, B.Sc. and M.Sc. https://www.uni-bayreuth.de/de/studium/bachelorstudium/umwelt-und-ressourcentechnologie/index.php
- Supplementary Course of Studies in Sustainability https://www.zsnachhaltigkeit.uni-bayreuth.de/de/index.html
- Molecular Ecology, M.Sc. https://www.uni-bayreuth.de/de/studium/masterstudium/molekulare_oekologie/
- Global Change Ecology, M.Sc. (http://www.global-change-ecology.de/)
- Biodiversity & Ecology, M.Sc. https://www.uni-bayreuth.de/de/studium/masterstudium/biodiversitaet_oekologie/index.php
- Collaborative Research Centre Microplastics https://www.sfb-mikroplastik.uni-bayreuth.de/de/index.html
- Bayreuth Center of Ecology & Environmental Research (BayCEER) https://www.bayceer.uni-bayreuth.de/
- Manufacturing & Remanufacturing Technology (LUP) https://www.lup.uni-bayreuth.de/de/index.html
- Sport Ecology https://www.spowi5.uni-bayreuth.de/de/