University of Bayreuth, Press Release No. 061/2021, 12 May 2021
Jewish Life in Bayreuth
Jewish people have been living in the area of present-day Germany for 1700 years. Bayreuth and the region can build on a rich and lively tradition, and a good stock of records and documentation. This is why there will be a variety of contributions to the 2021 Year of Remembrance, which are being prepared in close cooperation with the City, the University, and the Jewish Community of Bayreuth. Those interested can look forward to various formats intended to raise awareness of Jewish life as an integral part of our society.
In addition to academic events and a public keynote event, the programme includes various formats that deliberately address the interested public within and beyond the University of Bayreuth in plain speech. We can look forward to lectures in the established “Bayreuther Stadtgespräche” talks, a series of lectures, workshops, a weekly newspaper feature in cooperation with “Nordbayerischer Kurier”, an app, etc.
www.juedisches-leben.uni-bayreuth.de is where you will find everything on offer clearly arranged. The webpage is being updated on an ongoing basis. Please check event details. It may be necessary to react at short notice to the pandemic situation, unless a purely online format has been chosen from the outset. As far as possible, all the various contributions are to be made available online well beyond the commemorative year.
(ZOOM) lectures (as currently planned):
- Lecture series: “Economy, Crisis, Populism: Hans Rosenberg and the Modernisation of Historiography”.
Speaker: Prof. Dr. Tim Schanetzky, Faculty of Philosophy, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena
Thursday, 20 May 2021, 6 p.m. to approx. 7.30 p.m., online
- Bayreuther Stadtgespräche (Bayreuth City Talks): „Da will ich wieder ein bisschen mit Euch beisammen sein“. Letters from a Viennese Jew to her emigrated family 1938-42.
Speaker: PD Dr. Jörg Zedler, Chair of Bavarian Regional History, University of Regensburg
Wednesday, 2 June 2021, 6 p.m. to approx. 7.30 p.m., online
- Lecture series: Presentation on Victor M. Goldschmidt, father of modern geochemistry, and his work in founding today’s environmental sciences.
Prof. Dr. Stefan Peiffer, Chair of Hydrology, University of Bayreuth
Thursday, 10 June 2021, 6 p.m. to approx. 7.30 p.m., online
- Presentation of the work of Emil Warburg and his contemporaries
Prof. Dr. Walter Zimmermann, Chair of Theoretical Physics I, University of Bayreuth
Thursday, 17 June 2021, 6 p.m. to approx. 7.30 p.m., online
- Lecture “Jewish women and the salon”
Speaker: Prof. Dr. Anne Pollock, University of Halle
Thursday, 24 June 2021, 4.00 p.m., online
- Lecture Series: Introducing Levin Goldschmidt (1829-97)
Speaker: Prof. Dr. Bernd Kannowski, Chair of Civil Law & Legal History, University of Bayreuth
Thursday, 1 July 2021, 6 p.m. to approx. 7.30 p.m., online
- English participatory workshop “Chanting the Hebrew Bible”
Speaker: Hazzanin Marlena Fürstmann
Tuesday, 6 July 2021, 6 p.m. to approx. 7.30 p.m., online
- Bayreuther Stadtgespräche (Bayreuth City Talks): “Bayreuth between Orthodoxy and Reform. Rabbi Dr. Joseph Aub and his times”.
Speaker: Prof. Dr. Günter Dippold, District Curator of Local History and Culture, Bayreuth.
Wednesday, 7 July 2021, 6 p.m. to approx. 7.30 p.m., online
- Lecture series: Presentation on Sir Bernard Katz and his fundamental insights into the function of synapses in our brain as a basis for brain research.
Speaker: Prof. Dr. Stefan Schuster, Chair of Animal Physiology, University of Bayreuth
Thursday, 15 July 2021, 6 p.m. to approx. 7.30 p.m., online
- Lecture series: Presentation on Wolfgang Pauli and his contribution to nuclear spin
Speaker: Prof. Dr. Markus Schwoerer, Chair of Experimental Physics II, University of Bayreuth
Thursday, 29 July 2021, 6 p.m. to approx. 7.30 p.m., online
- Bayreuth City Talks: “The Bayreuth Festival and Judaism”.
Speaker: Prof. Dr. Anno Mungen, Chair of Theatre Studies, University of Bayreuth
Wednesday, 4 August 2021, 6 p.m. to approx. 7.30 p.m., online